Friday, September 30, 2011

Waneda Brownlow - Update

Waneda Brownlow, Children’s Ministry Coordinator, Africa
(065-0834)
Church of God World Missions
PO Box 8016 Cleveland, TN 37320
(wanedabrownlow@yahoo.com)
Lusaka, Zambia
September 21, 2011
Dear Friends and Family,

Outside my window this morning, the birds are chirping and flitting in the kitchen garden. Behaving exactly as God created them to behave, they are snatching bugs from the lettuce leaves. Watching and listening to birds does two things for me: One, I relax as I consider the fact that the world is turning normally; God is not in a panic or caught off-guard by any occurrence that might have been a shock for one of us. Two, I wonder if it is possible for us, humans that we are, to be as in tune with our purpose in life as the birds are. They never give a thought as to whether they are “In The Will Of God.” Birds just do what birds are supposed to do.

For almost three years, I have been blessed to live and work on the continent of Africa. My passport pages are filled with visas from the countries where children’s ministry is being developed. When difficulties arise, when my body is tired, when my mind is overwhelmed with tasks awaiting me, I sometimes wonder: “Is it time for me to find a rocking chair, sit down and ask for a cool glass of water? Should I step out of the picture, leaving this work of training teachers to a younger, more freshly-educated person?"

Then, when I check my email inbox and find a message telling me that the training I presented in a certain country has revolutionized the life of a group of hopeful teachers, I stop for a while, to watch and listen to the birds. While I consider the birds, my spirit is refreshed; my sense of purpose is renewed. I’m not snatching bugs from lettuce leaves. That’s the birds’ job. My task, my purpose, however, IS God-ordained. Like the birds instinctively know what to do, I know that I must teach.
So, today, while the birds outside my window are going about their God-ordained business, I write to you, to thank you for standing with me as I travel across Africa to train teachers for children’s ministry. Thank you for your prayers, your encouragement, your interest, and your financial support. You are a vital part of the work I do. When I challenge teachers to invest in the children of their communities, you are there with me. When I speak to national conventions to encourage leaders to recognize the value of children in our churches, you are there with me.
When you hear the birds sing outside your windows, I hope you will remember the children of Africa who also have God-ordained purposes. Remember this happy missionary who wants to spend all her energy preparing teachers to help children become mature disciples of Christ. Each bird has a purpose. Given an opportunity, each bird will fulfill that purpose. By the same token, given an opportunity, the children of Africa can become the people God created them to be. Birds don’t need teachers, but children do. That’s our joint task. Let us continue to work to together to prepare those teachers.

2011 Ministry Updates
JUNE/JULY
*Itinerating in US/UK, raising awareness of the need for children’s ministry training in Africa.
AUGUST
*Teacher training seminars, Zambia in Kitwe, Chingola, Solwezi,and Livingstone with approximately 200 teachers attending *Zambia Church of God World Missions National Convention, Chongwe, addressed congregation on theme: The Meaning of Ministry
SEPTEMBER
*Malawi Church of God National Convention, Lilongwe, addressed congregation on theme: Following the Example of Christ, Let The Little Children Come Unto Me
*Teacher training seminar, Lilongwe (approximately 25 teachers from all areas of Malawi)
UPCOMING OCTOBER
*Ghana, Church of God Regional Leadership Conference
*Botswana Church of God National Convention and Teacher Training Seminar
NOVEMBER
* Teacher training seminars; Emmasdale District and Kabulonga church plant, Lusaka, Zambia
*Training of Teachers (TOT); Discipleship College, Eldoret, Kenya (40 hour course, Principles of Teaching)
*SMOCAP (Single Mothers, Caring Partners) graduation; Eldoret, Kenya
DECEMBER
*School board meeting, St. Patrick’s Secondary School, Kigali, Rwanda
* Teacher training seminar, Busia, Kenya
Praise Reports and Prayer Requests
Praise for:
*Feedback arriving from teachers who have participated in training seminars. Many have requested further training and more materials.
*Invitations to travel to several (new, for me) countries for teacher training.
*Networking between several groups which has provided insight into the needs of children and methods for training teachers.
*Two good friends who have visited me (one in May/June and the other in July/August) in Africa, traveling with me and helping with teaching, logistics and resources.
Please pray for:
*An awakening in our churches (at all levels) concerning the importance of ministry to children.
*The development of a strategic plan for broadening and deepening the scope of the work of the Children’s Ministry Coordinator, Africa (That’s me, at the moment. I hope to develop a team for accomplishing training simultaneously across the continent. If you are interested in joining the team, PLEASE, contact me).
*Wisdom to train teachers who live in cultures, societies and communities with varied norms, customs and resources. Philippians 1:3-7 (NIV) “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in youwill carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me.”
Thank you again, for all you do.
Yours, in the love and service of Christ,
Waneda

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Wonderful update of what God is doing through this missionary. May God continue to keep her and help her to reach the children.