Saturday, December 17, 2011


The missionary life takes many twists and turns. A good philosophy for a missionary is found in Ecclesiastes, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Recently, I found myself in Zambia picking sweet potato leaves for lunch. (Maybe I’ll go back later to pull the potatoes themselves.)

While we are on a farming theme, here is a snapshot you never expected to find in a missionary newsletter. In Malawi, the familiar "pot-rack, pot-rack" of the guinea fowls woke me every morning with a sound that took me back to my childhood. This fellow in Zanzibar was hoeing
with all his might, getting ready to plant cassava. I think he shares my Ecclesiastes philosophy.
Yes, I love gardening. I love guinea fowls and I like to watch a farmer with a hoe. But what I really love more than anything is investing in teachers who will cultivate the spiritual lives of Africa’s children.
Thanks for all you do, to help me harvest this huge, valuable crop! It’s Been An Amazing Year!
WHEW! This year has been packed with new (and varied) experiences. Now it is time to stop for a while and reflect on what has happened. As I take the time to consider where I have been and what I have done in the past 12 months, I stand amazed. In fact, "It’s just amazing!" has become a phrase I catch myself overusing. But what else could I say? I know from where I have come. I know who I am. I know what God has done in my life, and this past year has been nothing less than AMAZING. There is just not another word to describe it!
Here are a few of the high-lights:
March: SENEGAL, on the West coast of Africa. Training seminar for about 20 teachers, in a
country where the faith of Islam is prevalent and the Church of God has only two congregations.
May: ZANZIBAR, on the East coast of Africa. Training seminar for 13 teachers, also in a country dominated by Islam. We have only a few churches on the island of Zanzibar.
September: MALAWI, teacher workshop and addressing the national convention.
October: BOTSWANA and GHANA, training teachers and speaking to leadership meetings concerning the importance of emphasizing children’s ministries.
November: KENYA, ten days of teaching Principles of Teaching to 70 students from 8 nations of East Africa.
To everything there is a season.
The only thing in our lives that never changes is the fact that changes are inevitable. A big change is happening in my life and I am both excited and apprehensive about it. After having had my base of operations in Eldoret, Kenya for three years, I am in the process of moving to Lusaka, Zambia.
In Eldoret -- I have shared a home with three (sometimes four) single missionary ladies. In Lusaka -- I have rented a small house in which I will live alone.
In Eldoret -- I take turns cooking and cleaning the kitchen. In Lusaka -- I’ll be cooking for myself.
In Eldoret -- my home furnishings were jointly owned by all of us in the house. In Lusaka -- I will purchase furniture on my own.
In Eldoret -- I can walk to town for errands and shopping. In Lusaka -- I will need to have a vehicle.
Some things, however, will not change. - I’ll continue to serve as Children’s Ministry Coordinator, Africa for Church of God World Missions. I’ll continue to train teachers across the continent. I will continue to depend upon your support, whether it be spiritual, emotional or financial. And, I will continue to be grateful for all you do to help enrich and enlarge the Kingdom of God in Africa!
December 2011

Contact Information :
The best way to communicate directly with me is by email at: wanedabrownlow@yahoo.com
or send a message on FACEBOOK: Waneda Brownlow
To send support, write to:
Church of God World Missions
PO Box 8016
Cleveland, TN 37320 USA
Account Number 065-0834
(Please include my name and account number on all correspondence with World Missions.)
I will be in the US February 1—March 24.
My cell phone number is 813 404 3108.
Mailing address: 2312 Long Green Court, Valrico, FL, 33596
For Your Information:
Driving in Rwanda is like driving in the US. Coming into the country, it is necessary to switch
sides of the road. This can be disorienting as traffic patterns are reversed.

The first Christmas song I heard this year was Jingle Bells, as I ate lunch looking over Lake Victoria in Kampala, Uganda. The idea of a one-horse, open sleigh in Uganda (a tropical country) was just a little strange. The herb rosemary is commonly used in cooking in Rwanda where it is known as "the" (TAY).

Lake Malawi is the second deepest lake on earth. Bujagali Falls near Jinja, Uganda, on the Nile River has been covered by water in a reservoir behind a hy-dro-electric power dam. Bujagali Falls was a well-known white water rafting site, attracting rafters from all over the world.
Parents in many African nations are known by the name of their first-born child. In Kenya, I am
therefore called Mama Mary.

Prayer Requests
Petitions:
Peace for African nations with volatile political situations.
Freedom to spread the good news in nations closed to Christianity.
A general awareness of the importance of children’s ministries in Africa.
Thanksgiving:
Smiling children whose teachers have received training.
Thousands of miles of safe travels this year.
The blessings of good health, strength and energy for
ministry.
I saw this sign in Malawi. At first, I laughed. Most of us have forgotten at least one of these items as we departed from a restaurant or a tourist attraction. I thought the sign was a funny way to jar the memory of the traveler. "Check your belongings. Make sure you have every-thing." As I
continued to think about the sign, I realized that although we would never actually leave our children behind, we do sometimes forget they require our constant, loving care. Working in churches across Africa for the past three years, I have sometimes been thrilled to see demonstrations of tremendous love for children. However, I have more often been dismayed by the obvious lack of concern for children on the part of many pastors and congregations. In general, the church has not yet recognized the value of children. The needs of children
continue to be seriously neglected by the church. In the Church of God (and in other groups, when I am invited), I try to spread a passion for ministry to children. To date, leaders and teachers in 16 African nations have been exposed to this passion. I hope they have also been infected with a desire to bring the children of Africa to mature discipleship in Christ. We must "check our belongings," ensuring we have remembered to care for our children. Yes, the
sign in Malawi is funny. It does its job by making us laugh. Really, though, forgetting children is not funny. It’s a tragedy that requires immediate response. If you want to participate in bringing the children of Africa to Christ, please tell me. Contact information is listed above.
Teachers in Moshupa, Botswana

No comments: